Wednesday, July 3, 2013

pear and ginger holiday cake

So - we are on holidays. J has 6 days leave and we're staying at a friend's holiday house in Port Macquarie. Do you remember my mandarin marmalade from 2011? A four and a half hour drive from Sydney, the climate is glorious. I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt and it is the middle of winter!

The thing about holidays is that while there are two parents around there's more time to cook. I brought my Thermomix and we made nasi goreng for last nights dinner. Fortunately our holiday house has an oven (& a much better kitchen than my own at home).

Today I just couldn't help myself. I discovered an organic supermarket in town - Organic Belly - and grabbed some rapadura sugar (& organic teas). 

The two descriptors I like to read about a cake are "moist" and "fluffy." Incredibly this cake is both those things - light and fluffy on the top and moist with peary goodness on the bottom. 

I could only operate the oven as fan-forced so you may need to cook it for longer if you're not using fan-forced. I'd check it at 45 minutes and cook for longer, checking (with skewer) at 5 minute intervals. I doubt it will need more than 60 minutes. 

Here is my recipe for Pear and Ginger Holiday Cake.


ingredients

6g fresh ginger 
160g rapadura sugar
125g unsalted butter, diced
250g organic sr flour
1 tspn baking powder
2 tspn mixed spice
310g milk
1 egg
2 Beurré bosc pears, cored, peeled and diced

method

Preheat oven to 180°c. Line a 20cm round cake tin with greaseproof baking paper. 

Place ginger in the TM bowl sp 6/3 secs. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add the butter and sugar. Cook at  90°c/5 min/sp 2. 

Add dry ingredients, milk & egg, mix speed 4, for 4-5 seconds until flour is just combined - to keep the result light and fluffy.

Add pear pieces, mix reverse sp 2/ 3 secs. 

Cook for 45 mins (fan-forced) and check from 45 mins for a non fan-forced oven. It probably won't need more than 60 mins. 


4 comments:

  1. That looks divine and I just happen to have all of the ingredients..will make tomorrow as I am expecting my in laws for a visit and that should suitably impress ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's best served hot and with a dollop of fresh cream! I hope your in-laws were suitably impressed Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I'm baking this right now.... Smells lovely! I hope you enjoyed your stay in "Port", I live in this wonderful place!

    A wonderful recipe with ingredients readily available in my home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - I'd love to hear how it goes. Kristin had success so that makes 2 successful bakes!! I love the fresh ginger in this and I'm not sure ill ever use ground ginger again!! Loved Port. I'm working on my marmalade post. We harvested kilos from our friends tree (hardly made a dent). Organic Belly were fabulous for organic products.

    ReplyDelete